Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Hello Pascal Bruckner, two years and still waiting . . .


I was looking at WUWTW stats this morning and noticed that within the past day my review of Pascal Bruckner's "Fanaticism and the Apocalypse" received another 7 views (I never claimed to being a hugely visited site.) still in the two years since I wrote it, its received 2,165 views and all of one comment and that was a pathetic one-line drive-by. ( I don't call WUWTW a virtual dialogue for nothing ;- ).  

Still I'm constantly amazed that one of my most visited reviews involves the work of a "philosopher" who's bread and butter is weaving together fantastical head-trips that never need to touch on the actual physical realities of living on this planet.  Well, not beyond book sales, that is.

By coincidence, tomorrow is the second anniversary of that article so I figure I may as well give it a mention and remind Pascal I'm still waiting.  Who knows eventually maybe I can get a response.  Although I doubt it.  I imagine Pascal isn't the least bit interested in a critical review of his writing, or in actual constructive learning, nor in acknowledging the physical evidence.  Monsieur Pascal Brucker I invite you to show me where you believe I'm mistaken and that you are about more than selling books.

But, I won't be holding my breath.  If nothing else, this will serve as another reminder of the phoniness of his writings.

Pascal Bruckner's "Fanaticism of the Apocalypse" - A Citizen's Response
AGW denial industry, AGW educational links, carbon footprint as original sin, Pascal Bruckner, The Gallic Gadfly, WUWT


Pascal Bruckner a professional thinker who's been described as the "Gallic Gadfly" and "a goad, a self-declared man of the left who considers the influence of leftist ideology on contemporary France to have been, by and large, disastrous..." {see The Gallic Gadfly }.  

Thus it was odd to see Anthony WUWT embracing him, but who knows what's going on at WUWT these days.  In any event, I'm tired of stuff like this going unopposed so here's another critical review together with a few selected educational videos and links to sources that help describe some of the scientific aspects of climatology that Bruckner seems unaware of.  (link)

As for that comment:

Anonymous said...

You have proved bruckner's point with your post.
_________________________________________________

Citizenschallenge said...

What point would that be? 

That you can write endlessly about an important topic and never actually touch the essence of it?

Don't suppose you were interested in learning from what the science has learned?
_________________________________________________

Citizenschallenge said...

I've been thinking about that drive-by comment above...

Bruckner's essay is an excellent example of the mind's need to weave together a narrative. But, it is also an example of the mind's isolation from the real world of the day to day.

Science is the human antidote for the reality that we only see the world through our own eyes and that if we long for an objective perspective of the world beyond ourselves - one that get's close to reflecting reality rather than merely mirroring our own mind - we must engage in an honest exchange where relevant knowledge is faced, rather then hidden from as Bruckner did throughout this essay. 

Bruckner's article is a long philosophizing journey within his own mind - but it is decidedly divorced from any objective appraisal of what's actually happening upon our planet. Heck, I'll bet Bruckner could write a five thousand word paper musing on the question: "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it still make noise?"

Tragically the real world of today needs a more down to Earth pragmatic appreciation for Earth processes, one that won't be found within a professional contrarian's mind.
___________________________________________________

Further reading:

Watching Flames, Pascal Bruckner Fiddles  
Against Environmental Panic, AGW denial industry, attack on science, Fanaticism of the Apocalypse, Pascal Bruckner

Here's a fun bonus, another one of my top rated posts

Dr. Nils-Axel Morner's Maldives Tree - what's up with that?
Nils-Axel Mörner, Sea Level Rise, The Maldives' Tree, Tom Curtis, WUWT

No comments: